SNAEFELLSNES PENINSULA TOUR (10 HOURS)Snaefellsjökull glacier in winter. Snæfjellsjökull National Park west Iceland.[/caption]
SNAEFELLSNES PENINSULA TOUR (10 HOURS)
This amazing route includes all the highlights along this popular route.
We travel from Reykjavik to the small village of Borgarnes. Once we depart Borgarnes we’ll travel along the boglands of the west. Eldborg is a ring-walled crater in the boglands. Nearby there is Gerduberg columnar basalt formation. We travel through some lava fields along the way to Arnarstapi settlement. There is a small port used by the local fishermen and a couple of restaurants and several holiday homes. In summer the bird cliffs at Arnarstapi are teeming with life. We may see some seals along the south coast of the peninsula.
However, the greatest attraction is of course Snaefellsjokull glacier and volcano. This giant natural landmark last erupted about 1850 years ago. We’ll take time to admire the Djupalonssandur pebble beach in the Snaefellsnes peninsula national park and travel through some fishing villages along the northern side of the peninsula. We’ll end this exciting day with a stop at Kirkjufell Mountain. This mountain is an arrow-shaped mountain with a small waterfall in front of it. In the popular HBO Game of Thrones series it was called “Arrowhead Mountain”.
Highlights usually included on this route…
- Borgarnes town
- Gerduberg columnar basalt wall
- Ytri-Tunga shelly beach where one can sometimes see seals
- Black church at Budir
- Arnarstapi coastal walk
- Djupalonssandur pebble beach
- Hellnar town, Olafsvik town, Grundarfjordur town
- National park Snaefelljokull (est. 2001).
- The tour costs US$ 1.700 for up to 4 persons, US$ 1.800 for up to 6 persons and US$ 2.100 for up to 19 persons.
- Optional visit to a tubular lava cave with a specialized guide (add 1 hour)
- Optional visit to a shark museum (add 1 hour)
CONTACT ME FOR MORE INFORMATION: