Are you looking for a competent, professional, English-speaking driver and guide in Iceland? I've been guiding since 1988 and still love my job! Since 1988 I've worked for a number of South African and Icelandic tour companies, mostly as a driver-guide but also as a guide on big busses.
In 2009 I founded Reykjavik Bike Tours. The business is registered and licensed by the Iceland Tourist Board (Ferðamálastofa).
When I'm not guiding, I lecture part-time at the University of Iceland and the Iceland School of Tourism. I am a keen writer, and enjoy writing articles and practicing photography both on a freelance basis.
I always seek to exceed my guest's expectations.
SOME COMPANIES I'VE WORKED FOR:
- Kynnisferðir / Reykjavík Excursions - Reykjavík, Iceland (driver-guide 8 years)
- Guðmundur Jónasson Travel - Reykjavík, Iceland (driver-guide 8 years)
- Atlantik DMC - Reykjavík, Iceland (part-time guide since 1995)
- University of Iceland (part-time lecturer since 2000)
- Hólar University North Iceland (part-time lecturer 4 years)
- Iceland Tourist Guide School (lecturer for 10 years, headmaster for 1 year)
- Iceland School of Tourism (part-time lecturer since 2005)
- Springbok Atlas Safari - South Africa (driver-guide 8 years)
- Welcome Tours - South Africa (driver-guide)
- Cape Rainbow Tours - South Africa (driver-guide 4 years)
- Vífilfell - Coca Cola in Reykjavík, Iceland (sales, marketing and delivery part-time with school)
- Elliheimilið Grund - Home for the elderly in Reykjavík, Iceland (part-time with school)
- Bæjarútgerðin - Fishing and processing (part-time with school)
- Valur Helgason - Plumbing (part-time with school)
AGENCIES (ONLY SOME OF THEM):
- Butterfield and Robinson
- National Geographic
- Explore Worldwide
- Luxury Adventures
- Discover The World
- Saga Holidays
- Landmark Tours
- Strabo Photo Tours
- 700 people (in charge of 15 other guides)
- Searching for a solar eclipse in an aircraft above the clouds which otherwise would have blocked the view. We did see the solar eclipse!
- MA in Public Administration - University of Iceland
- MA in Journalism - University of Iceland.
- MA dipl. ed in Adult Education - University of Education (now part of the University of Iceland)
- MA dipl. ed in Teaching at High School - University of Iceland
- MA in Leisure and Tourism Studies - Stenden University Leeuwarden, Netherlands
- BA in Tourism and Transport - NHTV University of Applied Science in Breda, Netherlands
- ND in International Tourism and Marketing - Cape Technikon in Cape Town, South Africa
- Menntaskólinn í Hamrahlið (University entrance excemption)
- Kelly Walsh High School (KWHS) in Casper Wyoming, United States.
CERTIFICATES FOR GUIDING:
- General guide for Iceland. 1- year full-time professional training at the Iceland Tourist Guide School
- Adventure and Incentive guide for Iceland. 1-term full-time professional training at the Iceland Tourist Guide School
- Hiking guide for Iceland. 1-term full-time professional training at the Iceland Tourist Guide School
- Professional drivers' licence - all categories
- Professional captain's licence for boats not exceeding 30 tonnes
- Professional teacher's licence to teach at high school level
- Pilot training
- Fork lifter certificate
- Wine tasting certificate
ANY QUESTIONS? PLEASE FEEL FREE TO CONTACT ME!